07 August 2022

New flower in May

Words and music by Richard Homer 

4/4 110 bpm Intro B flat m A flat C# A flat


B flat m, A flat

the breeze half-whispering to a / memory track

C # A flat

bringing a picture of you and your / perfume back 

B flat m, A flat

to me, these years on in the / warm house here

C # A flat

the rain on the Brecon Beacons / to the rear

C#, ==== C#, A flat

ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh ==== notes A flat, E flat, F #, A flat bass


where we listened to the breeze blowing a / beech tree tune

to accompany the colour of the / winter high noon

the rhythm of the water of the / Wye through the night

high up, the eagle, the / hawk, the kite


meeting you for the first time in the / Crickhowell ‘Bear’

the high birds rocking in the / bleak autumn air

the Pengenffordd winter mountain of / barren tree

in Talgarth in May with your / arms around me


Extra B flat E flat m

then you left for work / in the big city

B C#

new clothes, new hair, so / elegant, so pretty

B flat E flat m

but as the time apart / went along

B C# A flat

It seemed something // between us went / wrong


but I'm unable to let / go of you

your memory keeps on coming / back anew

I know in my heart that / you are gone

but why your picture keeps / coming / on and / on


Ch


C# A flat

I have a kind, gentle woman / with me here

C# A flat

but I wish in my heart that / you were near

==== C# A flat

coz the memory of you / won’t go // away

==== C# A flat C #

it keeps coming back like a / new flower in // May

A flat C#

a new flower in / May, a / new flower in / May


but I thank you in my heart / for the time

when I was yours, / you were mine

we had each other in / loving care

that went away / but who knows to / where


I couldn’t know back then what the / years would bring

but I like to think now you wear a / wedding ring

because I don’t want you to / be alone

you’re too beautiful to / be on your / own


Ending Ch 


B flat m, A flat, C #

ooh, / ooh, / ooh