04 August 2022

One week ago (Mardy night)

Words and music by Richard Homer 

4/4, 145 bpm


EABE

high up / birds on the / Mardy / wire

AEBE

enjoying the / humming of the / telegraph / breeze

EABE

a truck or a  / motorbike / fly past, the / tyre

AEBE

whining on the / tarmac, / rocking with / ease EBAE / BE


the new night / now / coming to me / here

back home by / gardens, / parked car or / two

hang up the / jacket, take / out a cold / beer

one way / I can / get the night / through

A E

thinking of the time when / you were with me 

B E

thinking of the time when / you were with me


bringing / colour to the / greying / air

four // pm, the / street lights come / on

winter / trees are / raw and / bare 

I wonder / where another / lost day has / gone


tonight lamb and / apricot were / enough for / me

in a mental / pipeline of / broken / rock

here, in / disconsolate //  harmony

I gaze at the / gas fire, the / wall, the / clock

A E

thinking of the time when / you were with me 

B E

thinking of the time when / you were with me



AE

a pen with a raging / energy

AE

I write for whom, / no-one can know

AE

I write on the paper in / front of me

AEBE

 ‘a frost in // December, just / one week // ago’

AEBE

 ‘a frost in // December, just / one week // ago’

AE BE / AE BE 

one week // ago, / one week // ago

one week // ago, / one week // ago EBAE / BE


AEBE / AEBE / EEEE / BBBB

A E

in the empty room, I / hear the wind moan

B E

the flickering rain of the / winter weather

A E

thinking of when we / were together

B E

thinking of / you girl, / thinking alone

A E B E

when we / held each / other / tight 

A E B E / B A E B E /  A E B E

memory / of a / Mardy / night, a / Mardy / night