01 November 2021

Iriana

June 2010 Batu Rakit 1992-1994

Words and music by Richard Homer


4/4, 3/4, 93 bpm Intro A B flat C, C B flat A, EAEA


A B flat C 

I’m thinking / of you / now 

C B flat A

a memory / coming / back 

A B flat C 

wandering / on a / quiet 

C B flat A

half / jungle / track 

EAEA

// oh // oh 


Thinking / back to / then,

thinking / back to / there,

the kampung / children / running, 

their kites up / in the / air


Going / back in / time

to nineteen / ninety / two

back to / Batu / Rakit

where I / first met / you 

Iriana, oh


You / wait / there, 

the sun / on the / go

listening / I / think, 

to // Bengawan // Solo

Iriana, oh


The cool / sea / breeze 

in the / evening / air

your sarong / purple, / yellow, 

a hibiscus / in your / hair

Iriana, oh


3/4 time AEAE 

ombak / ombak / pantai, 

sunyi / dan // tenang

bukit / malam / kabut 

angin, // gambang ABE


AEA, AEA

Iriana, / come to / me, Iriana, / come to / me, 

EA, EA

Iriana, come back to / me, oh


In a / kampung / house 

the women / tête à / tête 

out there / by the / beach, 

men repair a / fishing / net


A group of / geese / appear, 

in arrogant, / honking / time

the kampung / evening / smoke 

now beginning / to / climb


The breakers / come / again, 

the eagle / climbing / high

on the / earth / track, 

homecoming / cows go / by


anak-anak / dengan / wau

burung-burung // terbang

nelayan // membaiki / jaring

potong // kelapa / parang


Those / years / back

come to / me // again

the aroma / of the / kampung 

in // equatorial / rain 


The hibiscus, / the // ixora, 

the // coconut / tree

bring a / memory of / you

back / here to / me


oh, waktu / itu / cantik

hujan / malam / wangi

rambut / bunga / raya

batik baju // pelangi


AEA, AEA

Iriana, / come to / me, Iriana, / come to / me, 

EA, EA

Iriana, / come back to / me, oh