15 October 2021

I went to town

 Friday 2 December 2005 

Words and music by Richard Homer 


4/4, 125 bpm Intro C, FCGC, FCGC 


CFGC 

I went to the / town by the / cream bus // tonight 

FCGC 

if you’re not by the / stop, the chauffeur / waits, a nice / man 

FCGC 

the rain pissed on / down as / only Gwent / can 

GFC 

I got soaked to the skin, and / huddled up / tight 

CGC 

when I went to town alone by the / cream bus // tonight 


FCGC, FCGC Ooh 


I went to / Edwards the / Butchers // tonight 

for burgers, / home-made, now in / cold freezer / care 

I then went back / out to the / evening wet / air 

whilst Rob and Bridget put the / shop to / right 

when I went to the town alone by the / cream bus // tonight 


I went into / Stokes to buy / broccoli // tonight 

I enjoy going / there with their / polite, youthful / crew 

the manager is just a / boy; the / girls are pretty, too 

I got one small leek, hands / wet, cold and / bright 

when I went to the town alone by the / cream bus // tonight 


I went into / Threshers for the / Scrumpy // tonight 

a long, cold, wet / trek through the / miserable / street 

the cold, hard, wet / rain thumping / down on its / beat 

I got a pack too, of beer to / get me through the / night 

when I went to the town alone by the / cream bus // tonight


I went back to / wait for the / cream bus // tonight 

to go, via the / Knoll, back up the / hill, and then / home 

the poor bloke, well, / he had / Llanellen to / roam 

before he could sign off, get the / evening // alight, 

when I came back alone on the / cream bus // tonight


I went to the / rear of my / small house // tonight 

to cook up some / meat; then / after my / shower 

barefoot but / warm, by the / mélange of / flower 

the wireless told me Friday, the / music is / right 

when I came back alone by the / cream bus // tonight 


I went up to / bed in my / cold house // tonight 

alone, as / always; oh / yes, that I / know 

just watching the / computer and / gas fire / glow 

the evening came in with its / brisk winter / bite 

when I came back alone by the / cream bus // tonight 


Ch 

AF I know you / won’t be there

GC no holding hands, kissing, / taking care 

AF Where are you now? / Why did you go?

CGC Are you coming back to me?  / I want to / know