12 October 2021

Night train to where I think of you

 Abergavenny 2005

Words and music by Richard Homer


Am Em

Yet another train goes by, / tonight they go by

Am Em

the staccato of the track / ringing out clear

Am Em

the wind picking up, / birds rocking high 

Am Em C

the train goes on and on, but / me, I’m half here


I wait in the empty house, / alone again

with no job, no respect, no / dignity

I hear the whistle of the / weathering train

I ask the question, why / erosion came to me


Ch

Em Am G B Em Am G B 

but tonight, I can’t work out / why I / want to think of / you


The gradient is steep to / Hereford here

the ringing of the carriage / on the late night track

bringing back the time / when you were near

with the fading train, the / quiet comes back


Em Am B

When the train goes by, / why do I think of / you? Em Am G B

Em Am B

Are you the woman / I once thought I / knew?

Am Em

When you appear in my thoughts, the / train will come by

Am Em Em C

to tell me again it’s / time for goodbye


The train, the train, / where are you / now?

Is it up to Hereford, / Leominster, or / where?

Or to the south, to / Cwmbrân, on to plough 

through the aroma of the / cold Gwent winter air


Ch 


Yet another train goes past at / one ten am

the mail, no passengers this / time of night

my mind wanders now in / total mayhem

one angry bee or a / piranha coming to bite


Ch 


Ending Em, Am, G, B, twice, Am, Em, twice, ending high Em