15 October 2021

Flight to Kerteh

 Words and music by Richard Homer


4/4, 110 bpm Intro CF/CF/CF/CF/GC, CF/CF/CF/CF/GC


C F C

Why they put me on a / flight to / here,

G F C

twenty years before I / began to / know

C F C 

I would wait, forlorn, like a / rotting / pier,

G F C, CF/CF/CF/CF/GC, CF/CF/CF/CF/GC

watching the rusting come, and the / memory / go.


I look back now, a journey through a / maze of / time 

thinking where else I might have / gone, with / whom,

I might have kept warm, not cut by / touching / rime, 

maybe not taking refuge in a / quiet rear / room.


When I caught the plane that / early / morning

flying across a landscape of / watery / green

nothing in the air gave a / hint of / warning

I would end up the pauper, / you the / queen


The sun’s beginning to go, the / neighbour’s dogs / bark

in relentless, uncaring way / at the / rear,

papaya blob near where the / eating birds / park,

yet another Chinese / New Year / here.


Am G17 Am 

Get off the plane, get / thinking into / gear

Am G17 Am 

get your bag, watch the / Fokker / climb;

Am F C

they can keep the ticket, / bring someone else / here

Am F C

but they didn’t, that’s why I’m / out here / now, 

FC/FC/FC/FGC

counting / counting / counting counting / the / time.


I’m in bed this morning, / wife lying / near,

rubbing her back in half- / affectionate / care,

but my mind and heart in / low grinding / gear,

thinking to go, but / how, when and / where?