12 October 2021

Hereford Junction

Words and music by Richard Homer 


3/4, 4/4, 155 bpm 

Intro Em 2, Am, three, G 2, C, three, then repeat, 3/4 time, then Em 2, 


4/4 time Em Am Em 

I wait on platform one for the / oncoming / train

G C G 

the Abergavenny panting, / pandering / climb

Em Am Em 

the cold air, the beer tin, the / off and on / rain 

G C G F Em 

keeping the beat, a / metronome of / time, / ooh, / ooh 


I think of going up the / hard track to / where 

I went through Ludlow oh, / many years / before

the Teme, the castle, town, the / Shropshire / air 

bathing in the Crewe train’s / kicking / roar, / ooh, / ooh 


watching a warm wrapped / fisherman / cast 

into the cold / October grim / Wye

where teams of arrogant / duck go / past. 

I’m trying hard once / again, not to / cry


Ch B Em high 

In my thought, I put my / arm around Jane

B Em high 

her jeans and pullover / hugging waist tight

Am Em high 

her hair with / crystal rain

B Em

the warm orange glow of the / Hereford night, Hereford night


The lonely grass on the / Worcester / track

the bleak, bored buildings / waiting, quiet, / there

me and my bag, we’re / on our way / back

a three year ago / September warm / air, / ooh, / ooh 


A memory, a good one, / came back to / me

jolting my thought like a / shunting / train

turning by the junction of / / reality

ignoring both the cold / wind and the / rain, / ooh, / ooh 


Ch 

Em Am Em G C G 

watching the cold October / water go / by

watching the cold October / water go / by

Em Am Em past the city, the / turning / Wye

Am Em high B Em low 

trying / hard, once / again, not to / cry


Ending 

B Em high In my thought, I put my / arm around Jane