15 October 2021

High tea in Paka

Words and music by Richard Homer


4/4, 95 bpm 


Intro C G F C, G F C, G F C G C twice


C G F C

I walk with you, hearing the / kampung / chickens / crow,

F G CG

no arm, now, / around each other // here;

C G F C

the surf slips in and out like a / cockroach / on the / go,

F G CGC

the sun is going out, / night is coming / near. 

GFC GFC GFCGC

ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh, / ooh


There, across the way, the // restaurant / where

we had a ramble of a / high noon, high // tea,

in quarantine from the / hot, / humid / air, 

you now going away in / quarantine from / me.


I watch the sea breeze / attacking / your / hair,

you bend, pick up a / starfish, peach and / pink,

I breathe in the bracing late // afternoon / air,

knowing that we have / come to the / brink.


G F C

High tea in Paka, with you one / High Noon / afternoon,

G F C

listening to the surf / playing a foaming / tune, 

G F C

watching the unceasing sea birds / circle and / climb,

G F C

I’ll think of that day for a / long, long / time,

F G C

but I know you won’t be / thinking of / me.FGC


When you told me about your // other / man, 

my heart and my / memory // ache

for the time we grew up together / in // Cwmbrân, 

but Paka is our / point where we / break.


You get the Kuala Lumpur coach, / kiss / me / goodbye, 

I hear the breeze / hug a crying // tree;

tomorrow when the sun is / hot / and / high, 

I know you will be / gone for good from / me.


CGC

I’ll walk on the beach when the / sun has / gone, 

FGC

thinking of the / time I spent with / you,

CGC

the night when the music and the / loving / came / on, 

FGC

now the South / China Sea / tears will come on / cue.


CGC

The years ago, when we used to / walk to the / park, 

FGC

to watch / Pontypool and / Cross Keys / play,

CGC

listening to the song of the / Gwent evening / lark, 

FGC

or wandering through the / bookshops in / Hay.


I think of the plight of those / tough / lonely / men, 

Gary Cooper, Charlton / Heston, John / Wayne,

how they squared up to what was / thrown / at / them, 

then I’ll think of you my / love once // again.


G F C

High tea in Paka, with you one / High Noon / afternoon,

G F C

listening to the surf / playing a foaming / tune, 

G F C

watching the unceasing sea birds / circle and / climb,

G F C

I’ll think of that day for a / long, long / time,

F G C

but I know you won’t be / thinking of / me

F G C

but I know you won’t be / thinking of / me

F G C

no, I know you won’t be / thinking of / me