15 October 2021

The old men and women of the Mardy in Gwent

Words and music by Richard Homer 


4/4,110 bpm Intro CFC/FGC 


C F C F G C 

One old man, with a / dog on a / chain, 

a / man with a / dog on a / chain

F C F C 

walking / behind the / animal, both / slow

G C G F 

I stop, / greet them, / then I / go

C F G C F G C G 

knowing I’m / bound to bump / into them / again 

I’ll / bump into / them / again


A woman I talked to, who, / thirty years / ago, 

a / woman who / thirty years / ago

came from the / north of / England to here 

where they enjoy the / warmth of the / Ysgyryd bragging / air

to see the Blorenge / sunset / come and then / go

the / Blorenge sunset / come and / again


My neighbours, most of / them are getting / on, / 

oh, / they’re getting / on

with the / afflictions that they / now have to / bear

in the warm summer / evening or the / bitter winter / air

when the bird, the / leaf, the / last train have / again 

when the / bird, leaf, the / last train have / again


Going to Gary’s shop, the / tarmac is / bright,

the / tarmac is wet, / whining and / bright

I pick up some / beer, a / Strongbow / pack

Janet checks the / money, I / quiet trek / back 

home, I turn the / wireless / on for the / night

I / turn the wireless / on for the / night


Waiting on the // post-midnight floor / here

I think of those that / came / into my / thought just / now

when I / return, I’ll / try to kow / tow 

to the memory of the / evenings of / quiet glass / cheer

the / evenings of / quiet glass / cheer


When I get back to my / tropical / home

I’ll think / what the place / meant 

After a / long, hot, / sweaty day is / through

I’ll get a cold / beer, then / I’ll drink / to 

the old men and / women of the / Mardy, in / Gwent

the / people of the / Mardy, in / Gwent


repeat line 2, 3 with the / boys and / girls of the / Mardy in / Gwent, the / people of the / Mardy, in / Gwent


One old man, with a / dog on a / chain, 

a / man with a / dog on a / chain

GGCCFFCC


Ending CFGC